Glory of Venice

Photo c/o NCMA website
As I mentioned last week, Ansel Adams was not the only exhibition I saw at the North Carolina Museum of Art. They also have an open exhibition called the Glory of Venice. Stylistically, I am much more familiar with this type of art then the Ansel Adams photographs. The exhibition consisted of a lot of portraits as well a religious scenes. And the pieces ranged from the 1400s to the 1500s. By far my favorite piece was this map of Venice. It is so accurate that you can still identify streets and buildings in modern-day Venice.

The more I have studied art history, the more I find myself thinking how I would have curated the exhibition when I am visiting a museum. I loved how the NCMA painted the walls a deep, rich red. Normally museums galleries are all white, so the color was a nice change. It created the perfect atmosphere for the exhibition and helped to emphasize the colors in the works of art. 
My only criticism would be that although the wall text was interesting and the art was beautiful, there was no clear central theme carried throughout the exhibition other than that the works were created in Venice. I would have displayed the works by subject matter instead of chronologically so that you could see different artistic focuses and how those changed over time in a more compelling way.
What do y'all look for when you go to art exhibitions? Until next time, XO

Labels: , ,