Ansel Adams at the North Carolina Museum of Art


A couple of weeks ago, I was able to go to the North Carolina Museum of Art in Raleigh. Of course, it was exciting because I love going to art museums and it is always interesting to see how a museum is curated. Plus, I never seem to have the time to get over to Raleigh even though it is only an hour away.

I specifically made this trip to see two special exhibitions the NCMA has: Glory of Venice and Ansel Adams. Glory of Venice will get its own blog post in the coming weeks, but today I wanted to talk about Ansel Adams. I was first introduced to Adams a few months ago when Reynolda House in Winston-Salem had a special exhibition on him. For those of you who don't know, Ansel Adams was a photographer in the 20th century who had a huge impact on landscape photography and environmental art.

I have always enjoyed photography and the process of developing film by hand although I don't know very much about it stylistically. While I enjoyed the exhibition at Reynolda House, the one I saw a few weeks ago at NCMA was breath-taking. There is something about the black and white landscapes looming over you. Adams is able to make you feel completely insignificant in comparison while also making the landscapes feel accessible. 

This art is easy to appreciate even without a background in art history or photography. I would definitely recommend checking it out if you have time as this weekend is the last weekend it's open. Until next time, XO

P.S. All of the images are copies of Adams works from his website, NCMA, and other archives. They are not mine in any way. 

Labels: , , ,