Hello all! While I typically don't do TBT and all of those things, with homecoming for Wake Forest this weekend, I have been thinking a lot about my time in college lately. Looking back, most of my memories from college and about college are positive, but that doesn't mean it was all sunshine and rainbows. There were definite ups and downs and some things that I know now that I wish I had known then. So, here are some of things that I wish I had known and some of the advice I would give to those currently in college.
1. Don't be afraid to be scared. College is scary, you are starting a completely new and different chapter in your life that could have a huge impact on your future. But don't let that hold you back. As a freshman, I felt like everyone else had it figured out and I was just floundering along. Trust me, every one else is just as confused, nervous, and scared as you. Do the best you can and be yourself. You'll be fine.
2. Go to class. I know this sounds stupid but I know so many people who would blow off class and not do their work. You are only hurting yourself. Your teachers don't care if you don't come. So make the effort. You will thank yourself later.
3. Get out of your dorm room. As fabulous as your bed is and unlimited netflix and cookie dough ice cream, leave your room. Go to parties, make new friends, try clubs and activities. Being involved in your campus community is one of the best parts of college, so take advantage of it!
4. Take the classes that sound interesting. I started college taking all of the classes I thought I was "supposed" to be taking. But the classes that I excelled in and actually enjoyed and turned into my major were not the ones I was "supposed" to be taking. They were the ones I signed up for on a whim because they sounded interesting. College is all about finding your passion and what you want to do with your life. So throw out that "supposed to" rule book and do what you want. You'll be much happier in the long run.
5. Be your self. Finally, just be yourself. When I first got to Wake, I was so worried about finding friends and being what everyone wanted me to be. I wasn't fully happy until I stopped worrying about all of that and just did what I wanted. For me, that meant spending time with my friends for movie night instead of going to a frat party and studying art history instead of business. And now, I couldn't be more thankful. Imagining my life if I had been a business major makes me cringe so you do you.
My last word of advice is don't be afraid to ask for advice. Whether it is your school counselor or a company like Earnest
that can help with refinancing your student loans, asking for help never hurt anyone. Until next time, XO
P.S. I wore outfits like this all of the time to class...dress well test well my friends!
Labels: 2017, college, J.Crew, personal, red lips, statement earrings, t-shirt, TBT