Sprinkle Cookies with a Chocolate Twist

2017, personal, lefty, Lefty Baking Life, recipe, food, cookies,
Hello all and happy Monday! Yesterday ended up being so crazy and I am so sad I wasn't able to blog because it was National Left-Handed Day! But I did buy a futon for my apartment and get it all assembled! Let me tell you, never have I felt more accomplished than after buying a piece of furniture and putting it together by myself. I am getting so excited about my apartment and there are going to start being posts about it this week as I finish getting it decorated. 

As sad as I am that I didn't blog on National Left-Handed Day, it is not that big of a deal because every day is left-handed day for me. One of the main reasons I named the blog Lefty Living Life is because I am left-handed, but I also identify very strongly as a lefty. It is just one of those aspects of my life that has come to define me. Next year, I think I'm going to have a Lefty party! Maybe I'll even make these cookies.

Let me tell you about these cookies. These are the first thing available on Lefty Baking Life and I am obsessed with them. First of all, it is my sprinkle cookie recipe that I talk about all the time and love. This time though, I mixed up the icing a little and added chocolate chips and somehow they are even better. I am so pleased that another of my own recipes worked out and that it was able to kick off Lefty Baking Life. If you want some, there are a couple still available so just go to my go fund, donate, and then send me your address through our facebook page or email (leftylivinglife@gmail.com). I'll then send you the cookies in the mail! Until next time, XO

Ingredients:
1 cup butter, room temp
1 1/2 cups of sugar
1 egg
1 egg yolk
2 teaspoons vanilla
3 cups flour
1 1/4 teaspoons baking soda
1/2 teaspoon cream of tartar
1 teaspoon cornstarch
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 cup sprinkles
1 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips
Frosting: 3/4 cup butter, room temp
2 1/4 cup confectioner's sugar
3 tablespoons heavy cream
1 teaspoon vanilla
1/8 teaspoon salt

Directions:
With an electric mixer, cream the butte and sugar until light, about 2 mins. Add egg, egg yolk, and vanilla. Scrape bowl as needed.
In a separate bowl, whisk together the flour, baking soda, cream of tartar, cornstarch, and salt. Slowly add to the butter mixture on low speed and mix until combined. Gently mix in the sprinkles by hand. Cover and chill for at least 3 hours.
Remove from the fridge and preheat oven to 325. Let cookies sit at room temperature for 15 minutes unless you have chilled them overnight. If so, let them sit for about 30-40 minutes.
Form dough into balls. Bake for 9-10 minutes until the edges are slightly browned. The centers will appear soft. Allow to cool on pan for 3 minutes then transfer to wire rack to cool. They need to be completely chilled before you frost them.
Frosting: With a hand mixer, beat the butter until creamy. Add confectioners' sugar, cream, vanilla, and salt and mix on low speed until combined then increase the speed and mix for about 3 minutes. Add more sugar or cream if too thick or thin.
Place as much frosting as you like on the cookies and then finish with sprinkles. At first, I only frosted some of them, but the frosting really adds something so I would definitely recommend it! 

Labels: , , , , , ,