Wednesday, December 28, 2016
One of my favorite things about winter clothes, other than turtlenecks, is layering. Layering is such a fun way to experiment with different pieces, mix patterns, and have fun with your outfits. One of my favorite things about layering is combining different textures. I love the idea of wearing fur or a big sweater with feminine lace. The combination makes the pieces more interesting and adds extra depth to any outfit. XO
Tuesday, December 27, 2016
Hello all! This year has been a big year for me...I graduated from college and announced my consignment business, which will be opening in 2017. Plus I am now employed full time! In addition to all of that exciting news, this has been one of my most prolific blog years and has included some of my favorite outfits of all time. So for our top 10 list today, we are going to look back at some of my favorite outfits from 2016! Let me know if I forgot your favorite outfit or if you have any thoughts in the comments below. XO
1. This striped shirt was a staple in my wardrobe this summer. It is so versatile and easy to wear. Plus, this blog shoot was one of the most fun shoots I've ever had. My mom takes most of the amazing photos you see on the blog and it is always an adventure for us as we try new poses and locations.
2. Sequins are a regular occurrence in my wardrobe and I love this statement making jacket. This was the perfect outfit when my boyfriend and I went out in New York. This is by far one of my favorite outfits of 2016!
3. Ruffles were a new addition to my wardrobe this year and I am excited about them to say the least. This was just one of the ruffled outfits I've worn in 2016.
4. I wore ruffles again on the first day of my new job! I bought this outfit as my "first day of school outfit" at my job, but this shirt became one of my favorites this fall and I don't go more than a couple of days without wearing this skirt! Must be lucky!
5. Pastels have always been one of my favorite color groups, but this year, I have loved wearing lots of pastel accents against navy. Mixing pastels together is also one of my favorite ways to add more color to an outfit.
6. The 60s were a huge style influence for me this year. I have loved channeling that decade with mini skirts, color blocking, and big earrings. This was one of my favorite 60s looks from 2016.
7. A new thing for me in 2016 was utilizing the tailor. Let the "Taylor goes to the tailor" jokes begin, but I have been extremely thankful to have a tailor when I am not ready to give up on pieces that don't fit quite right.
8. My new blog series this fall/ winter has been all about turtlenecks- tips and tricks for wearing them. Make sure to stay tuned on Thursdays for even more fun turtleneck ideas. This has been my favorite turtleneck outfit so far!
9. I have been loving turtlenecks this winter, but also cozy knits in general. I love the idea of wearing a bulky sweater with feminine details like red lipstick. The combination gives any outfit that extra oomph as well as making it look elegant.
10. My final look from this weeks top 10 was actually from Christmas Eve a couple days ago. I love pairing t-shirts with big jewelry and dressing it up with heels. This outfit came together perfectly and had just the right amount of holiday flair.
Monday, December 26, 2016
I am extremely cold natured so staying warm in the winter is always a priority when I am picking out my clothes. A lot of times, that means layering excessively. But, even more important than layers, is the material of your clothing. Wearing all wool, like I did with this outfit, will help you stay warm even more than layers, but you can still easily layer or accessorize. So stay warm as it starts to get chiller and enjoy the last couple days of 2016! XO
Sunday, December 25, 2016
Hello all and Merry Christmas! I won't say too much today but Merry Christmas and I hope you are enjoying this wonderful day! With my Christmas outfits, I always try and include a little red or green without going too over board. This tartan skirt was perfect for today especially with my New York Times t-shirt. I also love the tartan against this patterned clutch, which is actually made from painted canvases! Such a fun accessory and a great conversation piece for any holiday parties you might have! Finally, my lipstick and my necklace are both new and courtesy of my Zoe Report Box of Style. This is one of my favorite subscription boxes and I would definitely recommend it.
Well, time to get back to the family! Merry Christmas! XO
Thursday, December 22, 2016
Hello all! Happy Turtleneck Thursday! At its most basic function, a turtleneck is supposed to keep you warm. So what do you do when your turtleneck is a warm knit, but it is too big to wear a coat over and it is a little loose? My solution was to layer a more fitted turtleneck underneath it. This way, you stay warm, but you also add some extra color, and in this case pattern as well. Plus, with two turtlenecks, you definitely don't have to worry about a necklace!
Our message this week? Wearing a turtleneck does not limit your layering options to hiding said turtleneck under a regular sweater. Turtlenecks are fun and versatile so experiment! We would love to hear what you come up with! XO
Tuesday, December 20, 2016
Hello all! I hope you are all having a good week so far! This week's top ten is all about the music I've been listening to lately. If you have any suggestions for things I should be listening to, I'd love to hear it!
1. It is that time of year again, and Michael Bublé's Christmas CD has been at the top of my spotify playlist for a while!
2. Of course my most played Christmas song is always Mariah Carey. A classic that always puts me in the mood for wrapping presents!
3. If you like Mariah Carey, this version from Carpool Karaoke is a must! I couldn't stop smiling when I was watching it.
4. Moving away from Christmas music, this new song by Lindsey Stirling has been stuck in my head all week. Different from your typical top hits song, but definitely worth a listen.
5. I love Ingrid Michaelson, and her new song, Hell No, gets me singing along every time it starts playing.
6. If you haven't already heard this song by Lady Gaga, go listen to it now! I've had it on repeat for the last couple of weeks and absolutely love it.
7. If you don't like country, you probably won't like this tune sung by Little Big Town and written by Taylor Swift. But for all my country fans out there, this is a must listen.
8. This next one is not something I would normally listen to, but it has been my new song obsession lately!
9. I love the Lumineers and I was really excited when their new album came out. With the help of my boyfriend, I started listening to Ophelia, and it has become one of my favorite songs of late.
10. The last song on here, The Sound by The 1975, has been a song I've been jamming to all summer and fall and I still turn the volume up every time it comes on.
Thursday, December 15, 2016
This week for Turtleneck Thursday, we are going to keep it simple again and talk about scarves. Normally when you wear a turtleneck, it is cooler and perfect weather for a scarf. Now, just because you already have something on your neck, doesn't mean you can't further accessorize with a scarf. I like to have a pattern on either my scarf or my turtleneck to make it more interesting. This style also only really works if you have a fitted turtleneck that is fitted at the neck. Extra fabric from your top will look a little odd with your scarf. I would love to hear your thoughts about Turtleneck Thursdays and how your experimenting with turtlenecks go! XO
Tuesday, December 13, 2016
So this year for Advent, my mom created an Advent calendar that has the typical candy, but also some other surprises. On December 2nd, I got one earring and had to wait eight days for the next one. The anticipation was so exciting, but it was also fun planning future outfits for when I finally got the second earring. This was such a fun way to create an advent calendar and I will definitely be doing this next year! Also look how cute the earrings I got are! I absolutely love them XO
Monday, December 12, 2016
If you have been keeping up with my red carpet posts, you probably noticed that the last couple of award shows have not blown me away. I am not a huge fan of people wearing extremely revealing clothes instead of something interesting and flattering. Last night at the Critics Choice Awards though, things took a turn for the better.
There were definitely some colors on the red carpet, but the predominant trend was the return of the little black dress, or in some cases, the all black outfit. Evan Rachel Wood has always been a style icon of mine and I thought she hit the nail on the head with this black pant suit. It was flattering and just the right amount of revealing. I love the newer trend of women wearing suits because it is so unexpected, but can be show stoping.
Naomie Harris is another one of my favorite people to watch on the red carpet. She always manages to keep it classy but also trendy as she did here with this black mini dress with a sheer lower section. The mini dress itself is a lovely LBD, but the sheer extension adds that extra oomph to her outfit. I love how she kept her accessories, hair, and make-up simple- a great reminder that everything doesn't have to be over the top to be great.
Nicole Kidman always manages to do something interesting and she looked incredible last night. The dress was a little revealing for my taste, but she rocked it. I do love the layering of fabric on her bodice and her brooch pinned to her sleeve. I love brooches and am so happy to see that they are slowly making a come-back!
I can not say enough good things about Sarah Paulson last night. I love her short textured hair paired with the various pearl-sized details on her dress. The pink lipstick and matte black shoes were the perfect finishing touches. This dress truly seems red carpet worthy as it feels like a work of art itself.
My final look of the night was Viola Davis. This color is so unexpected for winter but looks incredible against her skin. The simple jewelry and make-up was perfect for this textured gown. Well done Viola!
Until next time! XO
Sunday, December 11, 2016
I am not normally a fan of overly matching my outfit, However, when one component is patterned and pulls in other colors, the matching is actually beneficial instead of boring. Another important thing to do when wearing a lot of the same color is to pull in other colors, like my black belt and vest and my pink purse in this case. This creates some variety and makes the matching colors work together as a base color against your accents.
On a completely other note, my current addiction and winter essential is my yeti. I got one for graduation and didn't really know if I would ever use it. However, now that I commute for almost an hour every morning, my yeti is perfect for keeping my tea warm! I make my tea before I leave home in the morning and an hour later when I get to work, it is still boiling. I have been so impressed with the yeti and would definitely recommend one if you drink coffee or tea! XO